Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Lease or Buy? Myelofibrosis makes me morbid.

Last week I traded in my 2015 KIA for a 2019 KIA  and I decided to go from a car purchase over five years to a lease over three years.

My wife and I thought the lease made sense because it was cheaper than the purchase on a month by month basis. (You don't build up equity, but if you are going to buy another new car when the first is paid off, the equity disappears into the next purchase anyway.)

I like my new car, but within a day or two I had this morbid thought... "A three year lease is perfect because the future of my life is so uncertain.  I might not need a car three years from now."

While there is some truth involved in this thought, overall it is completely false and filled with maudlin self pity! Shame on me!

It is true that I do not know what will happen over the next three years or what condition I will be in by the time these years have passed. Proverbs 27:1 says, "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring." The truth is that the car itself and the activity of driving it on the same roads as distracted drivers might be a bigger hazard to me than myelofibrosis.

Note to self: Stop the self pit and morbid thoughts! Enjoy your new car and be grateful! You don't want to waste a single precious moment of this life and its blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment